Sunday, October 16, 2011

Food Philosophy



FOOD PHILOSOPHY

"To eat a mostly whole food diet and eat foods that are minimally processed"

That is my food philosophy, what's yours?  Do you have one?  I didn't always have one.  This philosophy is fairly new to my family.  It all started about a year and a half ago.  My daughter was having some stomach issues.  Her pediatrician and I decided she needed more fiber.  After looking long and hard at how we were eating, I decided to drastically change our diets.  No more frozen foods for breakfast.  No more school lunches.  No more white flour, pastas or rices.  No more High Fructose Corn Syrup, no modified corn starch, no more ingredients we couldn't pronounce!  Lots and lots and lots of fresh fruits and veggies.  Lean meats, fish and eggs.  Dairy, yogurt, cheese and milk.  This change was not welcomed with a parade.  I could have given in to the whines and moans, but I didn't.  My motto has become, "I'm my child's only defense against influences from the outside world, when it comes to food."  I try to teach them the right ways of eating, portion control, variety, etc.  My husband agrees with me that we should definitely feed them this way. However, as much as he has been my number one supporter, I also feel he is one of my biggest challenges...

 He is a skinny minny.  He can eat whatever he wants and doesn't gain an ounce!  Me, I'm on weight watchers, trying to lose all the weight I  gained while we were dating and I tried to keep up with him.  Add onto that two pregnancies and three babies later.  I CAN NOT eat whatever I want.  This is something I have come to terms with.  Two of our three children are built like me.  Our third, he is a mini-me of his Dad.  This is one of the reasons I do want my children to learn how to properly nourish their bodies.  

Another Challenge???

OTHER MOMS!!!!
"You don't let your daughter buy school lunch?"

That is just one of the many many "accusing questions" I encounter.  I definitely believe in the concept of when you know better, you do better.  I know better now.  Why would I feed my kids processed "chicken nuggets" and tator tots for lunch, when I can send them a whole wheat pasta salad with fresh veggies.  They enjoy both, why wouldn't I give them the healthier option!    
I try to educate others with what I know.  Sometimes they are interested, sometimes they are not.  If they ask, I tell them why I feed my family the way I do.  Playdates, are a challenge!  I  feel that if a parent knows this is my philosophy, they should help me out a bit and not feed my kids junk.  I'm not saying they should keep a stock of organic yogurt in their home for just my kids... but if they are only going to be there for an hour or two, I promise you they will not starve. 

BIGGEST CHALLENGE TO EATING A WHOLE FOOD, MINIMALLY PROCESSED DIET?

MONEY!!!!!

Yes, healthy food IS more expensive.  I work really hard to feed my family on a budget.  I travel 25 minutes to  the Trader Joe's that is closest to my home.  I shop at Costco.  I get a lot of crazy looks when I tell people I shop at three different supermarkets to feed my family.  I know where they are coming from.  I used to be one of those people giving the looks.  Why not just shop at one store and save money on gas and save time?  YES, my local Shop Rite does carry a similar item to everything I purchase at Trader Joe's and Costco, but it is so much more money.  To me, this is a top priority...Feeding my family right.  The extra two hours every two weeks, is worth it to me. Yes, it's a couple more dollars in gas... BUT, if I can get my kids their favorite organic yogurts and cereals for at least $1.00 less a box, then to me, it's worth it.  

My biggest concerns regarding my family's diet is whether I am giving them enough balance.  I don't want my children to feel that they are missing out on "the good stuff" and go crazy when they see it.  The last thing I want is to find my kids face first in a bowl of chips at a party, because they never get them.  I do try to give them treats.  We bake together.  We buy chips and salsa and popcorn.  I repeat ad nauseam  how much I want them to learn the right way to eat so they don't have to spend their adulthood struggling, like I do.  

I will continue to feed my children a mostly whole food diet with minimally processed foods.  I will continue to stand strong in my beliefs.  






No comments:

Post a Comment